Friday, April 07, 2006

The Golden Hour

For those that are photo enthuiasts that are just starting out, you have to know that the golden hour to shoot (literally) is 1-2 hours before the sun sets. When the sun hangs low and gets that wonderful golden glow, you can get photos that appear magical. The sun creates a golden halo around the object being shot and the color of the light is a flattering gold. Place the subject with their back to the sun and then shoot the picture. It helps if you have a flash because as the subject faces you they fall in the shadow. Step back a good 10-12 feet from the subject to use your flash or you will light up the subject and cancel out the advantages of the setting sun. Use your Macro to get a closer shot.

Now it is understood that you cannot always get this lighting, I have yet to figure out how to replicate it artficially an make it look just as good. When I figure that on out I will get back to you. There is just nothing that can replace good natural lighting. I have 10 years of shooting experience and although it isn't much I give you the benefit of my limited knowledge. Anybody out there get those Golden Hour photos that I am talking about? Let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home