Saturday, July 16, 2005

All in the name

I guess the best place for me to start would be to explain my name. I am named April Storm Abrams. I was born in '56 so we can't blame it on my mom being a hippie. My biological father... Mr. Abrams, is supposedly half Native American and I guess my mother, who was probaby high on ether or some labor drug, was waxing poetic. I was, however born in the worst storm in 25 years in that part of the midwest. I was born on the Indiana side of the tracks and taken home to the Ohio side. The Railroad track was the state line so that explains how I was born in Indiana and lived in Ohio.

But back to the name.... April Storm. For my 4th birthday I informed my mom that I wanted nothing for my birthday but a new name. I picked Susie Carol because in my mind it was the most normal name I could think of. My parents called me Susie Carol for about 2 days and then it was back to April Storm. Now you have to understand, my mother never says just April... she has to say April Storm out loud for everyone to hear. Of course everyone's head in hearing distance whips around to look for the kid with the wierd name.

As I grew up and I moaned about the name to my mom she would get a sly grin and say "Well if you never become anything else in life you could always become a stripper with a name like that". Of course that always earned her a dirty look but I did become a Belly Dancer. April Storm was a made to order handle for a Belly Dancer. My mother divorced my biological father and the new guy was named Rudy. Now Rudy wanted to adopt me but his last name started with an "S" and that would have made my initials A.S.S. I could not, would not, go for that. My 9 year old sensibilities were compromised by this. So I kept my 1st father's last name and have been trying to get rid of it ever since.

Now I am involved in various artistic pursuits. Art Journaling, Jewelry making, Art Dolls, Altered Art, Photography, Writing and dancing to name just a few. I want to make a business out of some of these abilities so to that end I am trying to figure out a name and a logo. I have figured out the name Eye of A. Storm and I have to figure out a graphic.... something with an eyeball in it. When I get some ideas I will post the photos. If anybody out there has ideas please share them. That is all for now. ~~A. Storm


2 Comments:

Blogger Marti G said...

Wow, I love that you explained about your name. And I really like Eye of A. Storm... very clever and memorable! Best of luck with your art :-)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

Fabulous story about your name, such interesting beginnings, I'd imagine it would be the perfect name for an artist. Do Love Eye of A. Storm too. Keep Blogging and I keep visiting. :0)

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home